Sunday, January 24, 2010

Days 16, 17, 18: Shout out to Trainer Greg

I am lucky enough to not only have a personal trainer and a nutrionist (not officially a nutritionist, but very knowledgable about food!), but to also live with and date one.  I can confidently say that if I did not have Greg in my life I would not be competing in this competition.  (For those of you who don't know, I met Greg in April of 2007, he became my trainer in May, and we started dating that summer...the rest is history).



 He is there to push me when I can no longer push myself.  He is there to answer the many, many food questions I have for him (sometimes often the same questions over and over again :) ).  He is there to make sure I take my vitamins.  He is there to tell me to stop complaining when I'm more whiny than a 13-year old on her period.  He is there to force spinach down my throat (I better look like freakin' Popeye!)  He is there to roll me out of bed when 5:00am has come waaaay too early.  He is there to cook lots and lots of chicken.  He is there to make sure I drink all of my water at every meal.  He is there to tell me to drink more water when I say I'm hungry and want ice cream (so I roll my eyes and...drink more water).  He is there to help me with the mental/emotional portion of all of this, in addition to the huge physical portion.  He is there to support me enough that I know he's there but not so much that I become frustrated and do this competition for the wrong reasons.  Greg has done a great job of teaching me that to be successful in my fitness goals, at whatever point in life, I have to want to achieve them for myself and my health.

Now, of course every trip to the gym and every conversation we have about fitness and food is not peaches and cream (no food pun intended).  I tend to complain about things more than Greg and I also tend to need more positive reinforcement (think the opposite of Trainer Jillian on The Biggest Loser) than Greg.  Greg gets up every day, creates his own diet, researches various workout programs, learns about his supplements, and does what he needs to do at the gym each day without as much as a peep.  This MAJOR personality difference can cause some issues in the gym, especially when I'm PMSing and almost (literally) cry when Greg pushes me a little past my comfort zone.  I'm working on complaining less because I am learning to be healthy and go to the gym because it's the right/healthy thing to do-- not because I date a trainer and want to be thin.  Also, let's be honest, complaining is not really fun for anyone involved.  It brings me down because I'm doubting myself and it brings Greg down because...well, he just really hates it when I complain.  Greg is working on encouraging me more during the workouts.  He doesn't need as much vocal encouragement as I do.  Side note:  I had to laugh the other day...I was doing chest and I was using 20 or 25 lb dumbbells.  It was hard!  Yesterday, I was watching Greg do chest and he was using 120 lb dumbbells IN EACH HAND!!  How dare I complain......

I would say that getting a trainer is one of the most clutch, awesome things I have ever done.  Not only because I ended up dating my trainer :) but also because they just get you on track and get you motivated to reach your fitness goals.  Two years ago, I never, in a million years, thought I would be training for a competition like this.  But once I had Greg as a trainer I realized that my body could do more than I ever thought.  At first, he was my motivation to get to the gym.  Not just because I thought he was cute but because he made me accountable in the gym.  He gave me the confidence to realize that I could compete in a competition like this.  He taught me about diet, weight training, supplements, discipline, cardio, and competition preparation.  Obviously this didn't all happen over a few weeks...it has literally been years.  But I would highly encourage anyone to hire a trainer (you don't have to date them just to get diet info :) ).  I know they are expensive...but my first year here I was able to do it living in a high-rise apartment in Ballston, with a new car payment, and a large bar tab, all on a teacher's salary.  It's doable and it is worth it!

Yes, sometimes I get very sick of talking about, let alone, thinking about weight lifting, cardio, protein, carbs, glutamine, creatine, being hungry, etc.  That's when I take a deep breath, get a word of encouragement from Greg, and go to bed.  Greg has taught me more about diet, exercise, and health than I ever thought I would learn and for that I am eternally grateful.  Go get a trainer!  Hurry!  I know this great trainer named Greg Smith :)

I love you Trainer Greg!  xoxo



1 comment:

  1. Awwwwww, a whole post about me??? That's sweet! Love you goober, you're doing great!

    ReplyDelete