Thursday, January 7, 2010

Day 1: What did I get myself into?

In theory, training and completing my first ever figure fitness competition sounded reaaaal awesome.  When the alarm went off this morning at 5:20am for my first training session of my 12 week program, all I could think was: "what the *bleep* did I get myself into?"  But...I had told many people, including my ever-growing muffin top, that I was starting this journey on Thursday morning so I had to back up all of my talking, tuck my muffin top into my workout pants, and actually get started. 

I'm not really sure why I chose to do this competition, other than the fact that Greg (my bf) just completed his first bodybuilding competition in November.  When I was watching his competition and saw some of the scary characters/competitors (men and women included), I wanted to run away and burn those freaky, overly-tanned, 5% body fat "people" from my brain.  OK, I guess that's a little judgmental but it was kind of like stepping into a new underground world of overly muscular and waaaaay overly tanned people.  As I watched these people strut around in their posing suits, wondering what nationality they all were because their skin was so damn tanned, I began a love-hate relationship with this "sport."  On the one hand, I thought these people were absolutely NUTS.  They had dedicated every hour of every day for the past 12+ weeks to working out, eating perfectly, taking supplements, not drinking alcohol, drinking more water than a camel, and sacrificing day-to-day things for this competition.  I thought to myself, while eating a pack of peanut M&Ms, "why would anyone do this?"  Another part of me looked at these people, specifically the women, and thought, "Damn!  Get it girl!"  I mean they looked phenomenal (minus the freakish tan)!  You could tell that these women were healthy, strong women who had worked their butts off (literally), and in a weird way I was jealous that I didn't have that body.  Well, the holidays hit and muscles, dieting, and working out were quickly replaced by homemade, delicious, gluten-free treats and waaaaay too much alcohol. 

After eating 4 pieces of gluten-free pizza while one hand rested on my muffin top hanging over my elastic workout pants (which were not being worked out in at all), I decided I needed a change...I needed something to work towards that was going to get me motivated to get to the gym, eat right, and be proud of my body.  I always do better when I have some kind of goal to work towards and since this was fresh on my mind from Greg's competition, I decided to give it a whirl...and here I am at the end of Day numbero uno.
The gym wasn't too bad this morning.  It actually felt really good to be back in the gym and in my routine.  I've always worked out, just not consistently and often with some prodding from said bodybuilding competitor.  I think today, overall, went pretty well.  It consisted of protein shakes, a lot of oatmeal, and a lot of lean protein (chicken and lean turkey burger). 

My 2 biggest issues right now with all of this are:  1) preparing food for the next day takes forrrreeeevvver!  Last night it took me almost 1 full hour to get all the meals portioned out and packed up for the next day.  Greg says it will get faster.  I told him he should just do it for me.  2) it is no secret I like to go out with my friends and throw back a few bunch of drinks.  I love to socialize, dance, hang out, just be out with fun people.  So the no alcohol thing was a real dagger.  I think the detox period will be good for everyone ;) but one goal I have made for this journey is that I refuse to give up my social life.  I will still go out...maybe not as late and definitely as the Designated Driver....but I WILL NOT let this competition over take my life.  There has to be a balance that can be made.

All in all, what I got myself into was one of the biggest challenges I've undertaken since...potty training?  Learning to ride a 2-wheeler?  Passing AP exams?  It will be a tough 12 weeks, but I'm glad I started on this journey because, hopefully, the results will be sweet!  I've gotten myself in pretty deep but I've gotten myself into something that will change my life for the better.

OK...I think that's enough about Day 1 and what led me to here.  I'm still working on the blog layout so bear with me.  I wanted to post a Day 1 pic but I dropped and broke my camera New Year's Eve (pre-festivities) so pics will be coming soon (don't judge).
It's now 7:00pm, which means if I start now maaaaybe my food will be portioned and packed away by midnight......OK I exaggerate...but it is almost time for dinner and bed...early abs and cardio workout tomorrow!

More tomorrow!  xoxo

5 comments:

  1. You have always been decisive. Can't remember when you didn't do something you had determined to do. What could be better, or healthier, than to lead a HEALTHY LIFESTYLE? They say that Life is Moderation. But how can you be moderate about fitness?
    I'm Proud of You!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Get it girl! And don't even begin to think that just because its three hours away that Kat and I won't be there. Kat will probably be eating Cheetos from the audience, but we will live vicariously through you!

    xoxo - Sarah

    P.S. you can be our DD any time ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so impressed and I know you can do this. Just wish I could see the final competition! I'll have to get Mara to fill me in! Keep going!

    Love,
    Mama Kauds

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you used the word 'dagger' in your blog. It's been almost a week--yay!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job Ray!!!! It's truly impressive how hard you're working and I know that the results will be amazing! You're the best.

    ReplyDelete