Sunday, January 10, 2010

Day 3 and 4: Soreness and food (or lack thereof)

First, thanks to everyone who has read this and sent me a message or note encouraging me!  It's so nice to have a support system during all of this. 

Today was my first complete rest day that I've had since I started.  Can I get a, "THANK GOODNESS?!"  My body needed this rest like Tiger Woods' wife needs an STD test (too soon?).  I woke up at 8:30am so I could get my first meal in and get the day started.  My body was so sore that sitting down on the toilet was a major challenge, which I will add, I have to do VERY often because I have been consuming about a gallon of water a day.  The soreness is always worse after I've been sitting for a while.  At one point today, I had been sitting down for about 20 minutes and attempted to get up and "walk" and felt as though I was a man who has just gotten hit in a very sensitive spot.  Waddling is probably a better definition of what I've been doing today, not walking.  The only part I haven't lifted yet is my arms (biceps and triceps) and that is, literally, the only part of my body that is not sore.  I know it will get better as I lift more and, honestly, I kind of like the soreness...not the pain part of it, but the fact that I know I got a good workout and that my muscles are being built up.  Hopefully the soreness will die down in the next few weeks.

Food has been on my mind, almost as much as my soreness.  The diet portion of all of this hasn't been as bad as I had expected.  Don't get me wrong...it's not what I would...fun.  However, there are some good choices that I can make that make all of this more bearable.  The carbs that I can eat are brown rice (1/4 cup per serving), oatmeal (1/2 cup per serving), and gluten free bread/roll from Trader Joe's (1/2 a roll at a time).  The lean proteins I eat are chicken (only spiced), salmon (infrequently), and lean, ground turkey.  I have about 3 ounces of each.  I also have 3 servings of fruit a day (1 ounce of blueberries, 1 ounce of strawberries, 1/4 of an orange, and 1/4 of an apple) and a few salads.  Since I'm eating every 3 hours, there isn't too much time to get hungry.  It's a decent amount of food, it just gets a little monotonous.  What I've realized doing this diet is that I think we often eat way more than we actually need to and I think restaurants are guilty of serving us way more food than we actually need.  I've found that portioning everything out on a food scale, while annoying and time consuming, I get the amount of food I need and nothing more.  It's so much easier to just grab a bag of chips or pour some pasta in a pot (gluten free of course!), but when you start looking at the serving sizes and portioning out what you really need for that meal, you realize that you don't need nearly as much food as you think you do...especially if you are eating every 3 hours like all fitness gurus recommend.

Over the weekend I went out to brunches/lunches where I sat and sipped water with lemon while my friends ate delicious meals.  But I'm trying to keep my goal of still going out and being social even though I'm attempting this competition.  It was definitely a challenge but thankfully I have very supportive friends who understand and help me get through :)  I've gotten much quicker at making my meals both at home and for work, so that's a plus.  The only food complaint I have (other than the fact that I can't eat french fries, mint chocolate chip ice cream, and milk shakes) is that this diet is high fiber with many, many vegetables involved.  Let's just say that this results in...um...some...gasiness (insert embarassed face).  Hey, I blame it on the diet.  Just be warned if you're around me...I'm letting you know up front :)  Safety!  I think my digestive system is still trying to figure out why it's seeing so much lettuce and healthy food instead of pizza, baked lays, and ice cream.

Anyways, time for me to go to bed.  I have to do abs and cardio at 5:15am.  Hopefully the elliptical will go a little better this time and my arm won't be chopped off by the swinging arm as I try to get water!  I'll keep you posted on that one.  Oh, I got a new camera!  So I'm planning on posting pics starting Thursday (that will be 1 week completed) and then I'll post a pic each Thursday so we can all compare.  I'll also post some pics of what fitness figure competitors looks like.......you'll see why I'm scared that I won't reach my goal.

Pounds lost:  3
Food cravings of the moment:  milkshake, ice cream, french fries, and mexican food

Until next time!
xoxo

1 comment:

  1. Wow Rach, I am impressed. Can you come move in with me for a couple weeks and be my trainer?? Miss you, and good luck!

    ps will you be able to use Foxfield as a reward??

    ReplyDelete