Sunday, July 25, 2010

Day 84: Posing Part 1: Holy Uncomfortable Poses, Batman!

Everyone I've talked to who has competed in a figure/bodybuilding shows has said that it doesn't matter how physically ready you are prior to the show if you have not practiced your poses multiple, multiple times.  I've even heard that some competitors with a better physique may place lower than someone with a worse physique because their posing was not as good.  It seems like this would be untrue, but after having my first, 1-on-1 posing session with a professional figure competitor, I can believe how crucial every, single movement and placement of your body is when it comes down to the judging.

At first, I was a little embarrassed to be standing in a yoga/pilates room (filled with mirrors), in my Target bikini and some cheap, black heels that were not even close to what I would have to wear.  But my posing coach, who I liked, really helped me relax and just started taking me through everything I needed to know.  It was all very overwhelming because there are different poses for different organizations, so what you practice really depends on the exact show that you're competing in.  It was a lot to take in, but it was a very beneficial introductory session.

What I found most surprising was a) like I said, how much information you have to remember about every move and pose, and b) how FREAKING uncomfortable holding those poses really is!  At the shows I've watched, the women look so relaxed and make their poses seem so easy.  Let me just tell you, my back was sore for FOUR days after posing!  By the end of the session my face was beat red and I was sweating...from posing!!  It was incredible to me how I had to think about how every part of my body was engaged in each pose, and then just when I kind of got the pose, I was being taught how to transition to the next pose.  The whole thing was a whirlwind experience but it really got me on the right track so that I can practice these poses for the next 9 weeks.

Here are some pictures that Greg took of me at the session and then some more pictures I took when I got home so I could send them to Mike (my diet/workout coach).  I obviously still need some work on my posing, but it's much better than before!

PLEASE check out my black heels circa 2000...just look, don't judge :)


Just for fun, let's see a comparison:


Oh boy!  Well, here's to more posing and more improvements!  I have a whole 'nother post about posing/what came from my posing session, so stay tuned!!!!

Thanks for all your love and support!!  xoxoxo

5 comments:

  1. Girl I'd KILL for your abs! My friend who's doing some comp in Atlanta in October (she does bikini, though) just had her first posing session this weekend and that poor girl is cleaning her house and living in her 5" stripper heels to get her practice in :) Good luck, I knew the posing looked a little awkward but your descriptions have me sweating right now! You've got plenty of time to get it down...and get some new heels!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow you look amazing! So great to see someone stick to something so challenging. Rachel it really is awesome to have such dedication!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking Good Rach!! the hard work is paying off...i think your going to better then you think at the competition..espec if you practice your poses!

    ReplyDelete
  4. your before and after shots make me wanna get on a damn treadmill. unreal!
    keep it up rach!

    meow

    ReplyDelete
  5. In response to the above post, just make sure you don't fall off.

    G

    ReplyDelete