Monday, July 12, 2010

Day 71: Support!

I have officially reached the half way point.  11ish week down, 11ish weeks to go.  Sometimes it feels like, "WHAT?!  It's only been 11 weeks?!"  And other times it feels like, "CRAP, I need 50 more weeks to get ready!"  It just depends on the day. 

Overall, I feel pretty good about my progress.  I'm 127lbs.  I've lost 17lbs.  I can definitely see changes and I can feel that I'm still continuing to get stronger.  I've been on the new program I talked about for a week and it is INTENSE.  In the mornings I lift for about 45-60 minutes followed by about 40ish minutes of cardio.  Then, I come back in the evenings for a cardio/abs session.  I'm in the gym 11 times a week...yeah, think of the sweaty laundry!  Oh, and my exhausted body :)  The first week was definitely an adjustment period, but I think I can keep it up, especially because it's summer and I don't have a full day of work in between workouts.

What has truly become the most important, helpful, awesome motivator for me is the support of so many people.  I can't even explain how kind and wonderful so many people have been to me about this whole process--especially people who have seen me transform from the beginning.  But I'm going to try to explain.  I know that I'm doing this for me, but damn is it nice to hear the nice and supportive things that people have to say!

Random people from the gym who have seen me over the past couple months have made nice comments, friends have encouraged me and told me they think I look great and am making great progress.  My family asks me every day about my workouts and encourages me to keep going.  People comment on this blog and on Facebook with supportive words (Allison R. you win for blog supporter...thanks girl!!!!)  Numerous people have told me they definintely want to come and see Greg and I at our show, which is above and beyond anything I would've expected.  I say all of this not because I think I look awesome or because I think I'm entirely ready for this competition.  I say this because without all of YOU, I'm honestly not sure I would've made it this far. 

So, thank you, thank you, thank you for: inspiring, motivating, encouraging, and pushing me to reach this goal.  Thank you for: understanding that I have to travel with approximately 75 tupperware containers at all times, understanding that although I love all of you, and I'm trying to maintain a normal social life, I just can't keep up with my old social life (maybe 1 day...), asking me questions about my diet and exercise because you are genuinely interested in what I'm doing, telling me that I inspire you to make changes in your life.  Just, thank you.  Please know that on days I don't want to workout and I don't to step foot in the freakin' gym, I think of all the people who are supporting me and are expecting to see some damn good results at the end of this :)

This is a "sport" that can often be so isolating.  Just you, your ipod, weights, and cardio machines.  That can get very, very old.  So to have other competitors in my life who encourage me, and to have all of you who help me stay positive and focused, it's crucial.

I have to give a special shout out to 2 people who see/deal with me every day of their bloody lives.  Greg and Shea.  You guys are troopers.  You both have been there, at 5 in the morning, for months and months to help me not only physically as spotters, but more importantly as my mental/emotional rocks.  I know 5am doesn't always bring out the best in me (no comments, boys), and I know sometimes my complaints must get old (I'm getting much better!). 

Greg has prepared and portioned out all of my food for me this entire time.  That has taken one of the biggest loads off my back.  He has been in the gym with me 3 times a week and at home with me every day.  He's encouraged me when I cried (especially after my 1st ever group posing session where I felt like the biggest, yet least muscular, tool to ever roam this earth), he's been stern with me when I'm being a big puss, and he's been understanding of my complete exhaustion.  To go through this with Greg has been so helpful.  Of course it's not always easy, but it's so crucial for me to have this support day in and day out.


Shea, while he gets a break from me during the days, has been with me every morning (except when he doesn't hear his 5 alarms in the morning ;) ).  Shea and I are essentially going through the same process...while he won't be decked out in stripper heals and a bikini, he is trying to make a lifestyle change, and that is frickin' hard!  We have many of the same frustrations, worries, annoyances, and excitement when we see growth and change in our bodies.  Thank you, Shea, for all of your support, for getting on the "lame" elliptical next to me just to keep me company, for not killing me when I doodle in your workout book, for being there to listen to the peaks and the valleys of this whole thing.  Don't worry, soon your body will officially be a triangle and your shoulders and arms will be so huge  you won't fit through any doors, Brock Lesnar style ;)



Thank you, everyone!  I honestly could not do this without all of you.  I do have a lot of internal motivation, but the external is so, so helpful.  Keep it coming!  WE're only half way ;)

xoxo
R

7 comments:

  1. awwww...hugs! you're doing fab. keep it up! i wish i could come up there and cheer for you in your hawt stripper heels!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad that I came across your blog today! I wanted to compete back in my 20s and never got around to doing it (life got in the way). Up until I had a baby I was in the military, jumped out of airplanes, and was tiny and fit (115 lbs). Now I'm 32 and have a 2 yr old and figured that I'm too old to try and compete and am not sure what my post-baby body can do. Then I realized how lame I was to give up before even trying!

    I just hired a trainer yesterday and am starting on my new eating/lifting plan next week and am so excited! I haven't committed to an actual comp. yet but I do possibly see competing in Bikini next year perhaps.

    Anyways, just read your entire blog and it's truly inspirational. How tall are you? We have a very similar weight journey...and YES I care about the number on the scale, too! I love that you came back with a vengeance after your first attempt!

    I'm adding you to my blog roll and look forward to following you on your journey. I have a blog that I will be closing up soon and starting a new one to chronicle my training attempt. I went to "fat camp" (seriously) recently and so the blog is mostly focused on that:

    http://125julyfive.blogspot.com/

    Keep up the awesomeness!
    Tracy W.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies!

    Tracy, so glad you found my blog! I just looked at yours and enjoyed reading part of your journey. It seems like you've come a long way--congrats!! I'm just under 5'5" (like 5'4" 3/4). I'm sure it seems overwhelming to think about competing, but for me, I just had to set a date to compete, do everything I could day in and day out, and know that when that competition date came, I would be in the best shape of my life, regardless of the competition outcome. I do want to do well in this competition, but I also want to know that I've done everything I could to literally work my ass off :) My advice is: set a goal/competition date/race/etc. (even if it seems far fetched)and take it day-by-day, week-by-week. Every day I just try to ask myself, did I do everything I could today to reach my goal?

    I'm glad we can keep up with each other's progress! Keep in touch! What area do you live in?

    :) Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rachel,

    I am in Colorado Springs, CO (originally from Cali, though). I totally agree with you about setting a comp date and working towards it. It's something I thought about and will do in the coming months. The "issue" is that my husband is in the Army (Special Forces) and he is constantly gone. In fact, he's deployed right now.

    A few months ago I was training for my first sprint triathlon and found one that had a "safe" date when we thought my hubby would be home and of course his deployment screwed it up! I just didn't have (or want) anyone to watch my son for an entire day while I traveled a few hours away to do this triathlon.

    As you might see from my blog I have food "issues." I have decided to initially try this 8 week plan that Muscle & Fitness Hers put out recently. It's really just a way for me to get my body used to that type of eating plan and learn some discipline. I also haven't lifted weights in years (I'm a self-admitted cardio junkie), so I want to ease back into that.

    There is this amazing instructor/trainer at my gym who competed back in the day and so I've hired her to go over my eating plan and help design the workout. I'll actually only train with her once a week just as a way to keep me on track. So my plan is after this initial 8 week program, I will figure out what direction I want to go in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are awesome!! I can't wait to come make a scene cheering you on at your competition! You look AMAZING!! (We all talked about it after you left - your bod was the envy of Dewey beach!). Sorry that I didn't get up with you this week about a workout, I don't know where the days went! Let me know if you wanna go next week :)

    See you and your 6-pack in a couple of days! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So I start my new eating/lifting plan tomorrow! The fat camp blog is done with...here's my new one:

    http://momsatransformer.blogspot.com/

    I hope all is going well with you and your training :)

    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Keep it up Rach!!!!!! XOXOXOXO!Candy Kitchen is just around the corner!

    ~Tanno

    ReplyDelete